VolunteerWe are Volunteer-Powered!
**Update: News from the Warehouse**
Here at Greater DC Diaper Bank our job is to encourage and support the health and well-being of families in our community. Given what we know about the importance and effectiveness of social distancing to slow the spread of the Coronavirus ((“COVID-19”) we are taking some proactive and preventative steps, including:
- Suspending volunteer sessions beginning Friday, March 13th – we will be reaching out to scheduled groups in the coming days to make a plan for their service to continue in a new way
- Our Warehouse will be open 9am-3pm each weekday for donation drop offs
- There will be no disruption to diaper and product distribution to our partners
Thank you for your continued commitment to our mission to help all families thrive. The safety of our staff, volunteers, and friends of the Diaper Bank is of utmost importance to us. We plan to still serve our families but want to make sure we do our job in helping to stop the spread of the Coronavirus.
Even though you can’t come in to help us in person there are still several ways to help our work including: hosting a virtual drive and sharing our work on social media: Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
For additional information, follow your local news, your local health department, and the CDC 2019 Novel Coronavirus website.
Thank you in advance for working with us to help all families stay healthy and happy!
Please read all information below before contacting us! We receive a high number of inquiries, and we want you to have the information you need as quickly as possible.
What do you do in a volunteer session?
Volunteering is family friendly and all are welcome. We’ll be sorting, packing and stacking diapers, sorting inventory, and organizing the Baby Pantry. In some volunteer sessions, we’ll also be preparing gear and completing diaper distribution. Our Volunteer Sessions are a great way to start talking about giving back and community in a tangible way that kids can relate to, and are also really fun!
Is there an age restriction for volunteers?
Volunteers of all ages (babies to seniors) are welcome and we have a play space for our youngest volunteers. Volunteers under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
How Do I sign up?
Dates are listed below — if you’d like to join us, please click ‘Sign Up’ next to the date of the session and complete the registration form. Please note:
- Our registration is designed for individuals and families- if you are bringing more than 2 adults, please register them separately.
- All volunteers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult, and to ensure appropriate supervision, we require at least a 1:4 adult:child ratio.
- Please plan to join us for the full session!
- Please use the comments section of the form to let us know if any volunteers have special needs or requirements.
- We add volunteer sessions on the 15th of the month for the following month. Check back then to sign up for next month! If the session you wanted is full, check back a day or two before, as spaces do open up!
- In the case of inclement weather, we will post on the opening page of our website whether the warehouse is open, no less than an hour before a volunteer session’s scheduled start time. If the weather outside is frightful, check there before you come out.
We love volunteering with our kids! It’s such an easy and tangible way to give back and start talking about the issue of poverty with our children.
Tracie, regular GDCDB Family Volunteer
At Greater DC Diaper Bank, we have committed to providing opportunities for families to volunteer together. This commitment limits our ability to accommodate volunteer groups for warehouse sessions, but we are happy to talk with organizations about ways to get involved! Through product drives, creating donation kits, or creative fundraising ideas, we would love to engage your group in our work. For more information, check out our Group Volunteering page!