GDCDB Is In Search OfA Development Director
Greater DC Diaper Bank: Development Director Position Description
Greater DC Diaper Bank (GDCDB) empowers families in need throughout the DC region by providing an adequate and reliable source for basic baby needs and personal hygiene products. We partner with 64 social service agencies to distribute our diapers efficiently and to the families most in need; these partners use our products as gateway resources to more deeply and consistently engage clients with the other support services they offer, easing the burden of poverty in critical ways. GDCDB has distributed more than 12 million diapers since its inception in 2010.
At the onset of the pandemic, we mobilized quickly and strategically to expand our reach while sustaining our other services. We stood up 19 Diaper Needs Hubs to aid families outside our existing distribution network. Taking into account both the Hubs and our core diaper distribution network, we are now getting 550,000 diapers into the hands of families each month. Since January of this year, we have distributed over 4 million diapers to more than 10,000 families and 11,500 babies (most on a monthly basis). Maintaining this pace, we will likely distribute 7 million diapers in 2020, a 250% increase over 2019.
About the Role
Reporting to our Executive Director, the Development Director (DD) will bring a passion for our issues paired with a high-level of expertise and strategic thinking to drive revenue growth to meet the immediate and increasing need for our core programs and build long-term growth opportunities for GDCDB.
Working 35 hours a week, you will be the lead strategist and project manager of the Diaper Bank’s roughly $2 million philanthropic revenue portfolio. The Development Director is both a strategic and tactical position and is responsible for executing and iterating on GDCDB’s annual development plan, as well as representing GDCDB to individual and institutional donors. In addition, the DD will manage the consultant team that executes the Diaper Bank’s robust grant portfolio. Finally, the DD will be responsible for analyzing and fine-tuning development communications, ensuring the Diaper Bank is optimizing its messaging at every opportunity.
This position will work out of the Diaper Bank’s Silver Spring, MD office (8858 Monard Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20901). Currently, the GDCDB team works remotely, occasionally coming into the office to manage diaper distributions and other warehouse related work. Salary for this position will be $85,000 to $95,000 commensurate with experience.
The Development Director can expect his/her/their work to include:
Leadership and Development Strategy
- Collaborate with and support the organization’s leadership and participate in Greater DC Diaper Bank’s leadership team
- Serve as the staff leader and liaison to the GDCDB Development Committee
- Manage and execute the organization’s annual development and stewardship plans to achieve annual revenue goals and to generate funding to support the programmatic operations of GDCDB
- Update existing development and stewardship plans with new ideas, industry best practices, and data-driven analysis
- Ensure a robust gift pipeline big enough to hit annual revenue goals by actively managing prospective and current donors, foundations and other funders solicited via proposals, grant applications, multiple appeals, and other fundraising activities
Individual Donor Stewardship and Management
- Partner with Executive Director to identify, cultivate and solicit individual donors for major gifts
- Manage and develop existing initiatives, appeals, and campaigns focused on targeting new donors and stewarding existing donors
- Coordinate and oversee moves and task management for individual giving
- Cultivate relationships with Board of Directors and support them in identifying and tailoring their best development contributions to GDCDB
- Execute the donor stewardship process (i.e. acknowledgment letters) and other donor stewardship campaigns in order to connect donors to the mission of GDCDB and foster a sense of community
- Help develop creative and mission-centric fundraising messaging that articulates the special role and impact of the Diaper Bank’s work
Foundation and Corporation Relations
- Serve as the main point of contact and manage the external grant writing team
- Manage relationships with existing foundations/corporations
- Research and develop relationships with potential foundation/corporate funders
- Serve as primary contact and manage all groups and companies that are sponsoring and/or entering into a cause marketing relationship with GDCDB
Fundraising Operations and Gift Entry
- Design and update a regular progress-to-goal report and development dashboard for the Executive Director and Development Committee
- Execute high-quality gift entry and revenue tracking, to ensure accurate and thorough documentation of all development activities
- Ensure integrity and accuracy in all records and reports in Salesforce, the Diaper Bank’s CRM
To be maximally successful in this role, you need to be:
- You are excited for the opportunity to promote the growing needs of families parenting in poverty and the innovative ways GDCDB partner organizations are addressing those unique needs
- You regularly demonstrate strong self-motivation, strategic thinking, and the ability to work independently
- You have awesome project management skills, with a knack for working backwards from deadlines and can deal with curve balls thrown at your work plan
- You have a keen attention to detail, a love of adhering to organizational systems, and aren’t satisfied until you have produced a high-quality work-product
- You possess a high level of integrity and confidentiality and are able to manage sensitive information about donors, partners, and beneficiaries
- You are reliable and a friendly communicator who reaches out and follows-up with professional persistence
- You are a creative thinker and willing to test out new ideas
You need to have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree and 6-8 years of nonprofit development experience
- Demonstrable experience as a fundraising generalist, with hands-on practice at institutional giving/grant writing, major gifts, annual giving, corporate partnership building, special events, and online giving campaigns
- Experience managing and improving development operations, ranging from CRM management to budget monitoring to gift processing
- Excellent working knowledge of Salesforce as a CRM for donor and revenue management
- Experience working with volunteers of all levels, and liaising with contractors and consultants
How to Apply
Candidates should send the following (with “GDCDB Development Director application” as the subject) to HR@dcdiaperbank.org:
- Current resume or CV
- A cover letter with salary range expectations and available start date
- Two writing samples that are authored solely by the candidate and relevant to fundraising work, such as a thank you letter or a follow-up email after a donor meeting and a strategic communication to a volunteer or board member authored by the candidate like an example of a program or campaign report that the candidate has constructed to answer a question, give strategic advice or solve a problem.
Persons with mental or physical disabilities as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act are eligible for this position as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodations are made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible for this position. Persons of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary, Hours of Work, Holidays, and Other Benefits
- $85,000 – $95,000 annually paid monthly
- 35 hours per week with a flexible work schedule and generous PTO
- Greater DC Diaper Bank follows the federal government holiday schedule.
- Greater DC Diaper Bank is closed for one week in August and a week at the end of the year.
- Greater DC Diaper Bank offers participation in a retirement savings plan with employer match;
- $5,000 QSEHRA allowance annually; dental and vision plans; and flexible spending and dependent care accounts.